Federal Polygraph Continuing Education Certification Program (FPCECP)
The purpose of the FPCECP is to standardize CE requirements and establish a centralized location for reporting, recording, reviewing, assessing, and certifying (to include the approval of) CE and training received by Federal PDD examiners.
The FPCECP recognizes the following objectives which define the purpose
and nature of this program.
- Enable Federal polygraph examiners to remain current with the state of the science, increasing the level of individual competence. Promote consistency in CE among Federal agencies.
- Ensure quality courses are available when, where, and on those topics that reflect the current needs of polygraph programs and promote development and use of new courses, adjunct faculty, satellite locations, and the most current instructional technology.
- Maintain CE records for all Federal polygraph examiners.
- Advise program managers when training levels fall short and assist programs in meeting Federal standards.
- Assist program managers in developing NCCA approved courses.
- Provide an avenue for examiners who have been performing extended duties other than polygraph to regain their previous level of functional competence necessary to again perform polygraph duties.
In 1994, the Joint Security Commission published its findings in “Redefining Security.” In that section of the report dealing with polygraph matters and specifically education, the Joint Security Commission recommended that a mandatory certification program be established under the auspices of a single entity. On March 19, 1996, the Assistant Secretary of Defense issued an order implementing that recommendation. Participation for the DoD components is mandatory. Participation for other Federal agencies is through respective Memoranda of Agreement with the Security Policy Board. Officially, the program took effect on October 1, 1996. On that date, all examiners who held current certification by their respective agency were granted initial certification under the newly developed Federal Polygraph Continuing Education Certification Program (FPCECP). As with any scientific discipline, it is essential that polygraph examiners have available to them a broad variety of continuing education opportunities.
Send questions or comments to the Webmaster.